Published on August 21st, 2018 | by Jon Bunnies0
Random music news for Tuesday, August 21, 2018
By the end of the year, inflation in Venezuela could hit 1,000,000%. No, that’s not a typo, either. In music news for August 18, 2018…
- Weekly Canadian music sales and streams vs. this time last year: Total albums, -18.5%; digital albums, -21.1%; physical albums, -16.8%; CDs, -20.9%; vinyl, +45.8%; streams, +51.6% (1.098 billion streams last week).
- Asia Argento’s tweet quoting Kurt Cobain seems pretty weird after what we’ve heard over the last 48 hours.
- It won’t be long before the big console screens in Teslas have the capability to show videos.
- How will the radio industry respond to smart speakers in cars?
- The fastest-growing smart speaker market in the world is… China? Yep.
- Another way of looking at smart speakers: They are the “sonic Internet.” I like that.
- A Google smart screen with a video screen? That’s the rumour.
- Nicki Minaj is NOT happy with Spotify.
- If you’ve been following the fallout from the Marvin Gaye “Got to Give It Up”/Robin Thicke “Blurred Lines” verdict, you need to read this.
- 3D audio from some earbuds? Yes, please.
- Madonna is going to build a soccer stadium in Malawi.
- This is not the kind of Motorhead visual you will want in your head. Be careful before you click here. (Via Tom)
- The return of The Monkees? Sort of. (Tom again)
- Toronto indie fans will love this: a Lowest of the Low career retrospective box set.
- Looking for an app to help you discover music? Try Lüm.
- What to do with an old chapel? Turn it into a music venue!
- It was another rough week for physical CD sales. If you add up all the discs in the SoundScan top 200 chart, you come up with a total of 589,000. You could make the chart by selling just 591 units.
- Does anyone listen to Apple Music’s Beats 1? It’s hard to say–or they won’t say.
- Madonna is selling this place. Nice.
- When we talk about Robert Plant, it’s always about Led Zeppelin. What about The Honeydrippers?